Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Prayer Share

There are times when the "every day" stuff of ministry can make a girl crazy. And there are times when the "every day" stuff of ministry is really pretty extraordinary when I take the time to notice. A simple cross-mark of ashes, a simple meal of soup, a simple service of prayer. These are just some of the ways I've experienced God, and seen the extraordinary in the ordinary, in the past few days and weeks. I'm been practicing noticing such things, and expressing my thanks to God for them. (#12)
Last week was the annual ecumenical World Day of Prayer, a movement of Christian women world-wide. Though it always falls on a Friday, which is my day off, I think it's an important effort to support and it's nice to have a service that I can just attend. The theme this year was "Let Justice Prevail" and was prepared by women in Malaysia. I heard a great sermon, emphasizing the importance of justice ministries in addition to outreach. And we joined in prayer for peace and justice to prevail throughout the world. The following is part of a prayer we read, from activist and author Alan Paton.

Let me not be afraid to defend the weak because of the anger of the strong
Not afraid to defend the poor because of the anger of the rich.
Show me where love and hope and faith are needed,
And use me to bring them to those places.
And so open my eyes and my ears that
I may this coming day be able to do some work of peace for Thee.

Amen.

No comments: