Saturday, March 31, 2012

Looking at the List

As the first quarter of this year is quickly passing (and I prepare to jump into the craziness that is Holy Week for a pastor), I thought it would be a good time to check up on how I'm progressing on my 12 for '12 list. While there are only two items I can actually check off as completed (going to Longwood Gardens in PA = #4 and buying a new laptop = #10), I have made some good progress on a few other items. I have completed four new books (#5) and am half-way through a fifth. The Time Traveler's Wife is probably one of the weirdest books I have ever read, but it's at least keeping me interested enough to not give up on it. I have also successfully attempted five new recipes (#6): Butternut Squash Risotto, Creamy Tomato Bisque, Banana Chip Cake, Creamy Carrot Soup, and Shrimp and Vegetable Stir-fry (I kinda cheated and used frozen veggies, but I did make the sauce). After taking that one swimming lesson (#1) I have been slowly getting used to swimming on my own. I admit that I have not been practicing as much as I should. Probably because I don't enjoy it much yet. I'm hoping that changes eventually, although I don't think I'll learn to love it as much as I do running. I have found some local triathlons happening this summer, but I haven't decided on one yet (#2). The one that makes the most sense in my schedule is an ocean swim, and that makes me a little nervous. I'm also still deciding on another race to sign up for, but I am planning to do my third marathon this fall! (It's not on the list, but I'm excited anyway.) And I'm still slowly making progress on my quilt (#7), especially after I got a tune-up on my sewing machine. I have also been trying out a spiritual practice that seems to be going pretty well so far, but I don't think I'm committed enough to it yet to share or consider it one that "works" (#12). Numbers 3, 8, 9, and 11 are the only ones in which zero progress has been made, but I still have plenty of time. The only one I'm a little sad about is the fact that I still haven't touched my piano in forever, but I've been too focused on the really difficult music we're playing in the next wind ensemble concert. All in all, I think I'm doing pretty well. And now I'm off to finish my glass of wine and read some more of my weird book before it's time for bed.

No comments: